By default, the same notification sound is played for all incoming messages. The simple solution is to set a specific notification for each type of message:
- Set the default notification sound from Settings > Sound & display > Notification sound.
- Set the Gmail ringtone from Gmail > Menu > Settings > Select ringtone.
- Set the sound for incoming text and multimedia messages from Messaging > Menu > Settings > Select sound.
- On phones with HTC Sense, set the Calendar notification sound from Calendar > Menu > More > Settings > Reminder settings > Select ringtone.
- Voilà! That’s it, you will now be able to hear what kind of message that just arrived to your phone.