If you frequently travel, the application we’re about to tell you about may pique your interest. Word Lens is an application developed by Quest Visual that uses your iPhone’s camera to translate text from one language to another on the fly. Currently, the app can only translate from Spanish to English (or vice versa), but Quest Visual is promising that more language packs are on the way. The application is “free” to download, but each language pack must be purchased within the app for $4.99.
Try out the included modes first so you can see the technology in action:
- Reverse Words (spell all words backwards)
- Erase Words (advanced digital white-out technology)
Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, too
Get the best quality out of your translations:
- best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- does NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- it's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, or iPod Touch with video camera
- iOS 4.0 or later
*** iPhone 3gs and iPod Touch do not have zoom or flash light features
*** iPod Touch camera does not have auto-focus feature